i. Development of a data base on the various natural resources and socio-economic dimensions.
ii. To improve knowledge about climate change and the associated risk.
iii. Studying the traditional knowledge system and its preservation and conservation.
iv. Modelling and prediction of future trends on the potential impact of climate change on the different sectors.
v. Networking with different institutes to share knowledge and expertise.
vi. To increase awareness of the planners and policy makers about the effect of climate change.
vii. Training and capacity building for better adaptation and mitigation of climate change impacts.
viii. Development of regional cooperation to design appropriate strategies and alternative policies for management of the mountain ecosystem in the region.
1. To improve knowledge about climate change and associated risk to the state of Manipur as well as the entire Indian Himalayan Region;
2. Development of a coherent data base on the geological, hydrological, biological and socio cultural dimensions including traditional knowledge systems on preservation and conservation of the ecosystem.;
3. Detection and decoupling of natural and anthropogenic induced signals of global environmental changes in mountain ecosystems and prediction of future trends on potential impacts of climate change on the Himalayan ecosystem with a sound S&T backup.
4. Assessment of the socio-economic and ecological consequences of global environmental change and design of appropriate strategies for growth in the economy of the mountain regions and the lowland systems dependent on mountain resources in the region.
5. To interface with reputed national and international institutions for climate modelling and predicting future scenarios in different sectors;
6. To strengthen capacity of professionals in climate change modeling and climate change adaptation & mitigation related aspects through training & capacity building;
7. To share knowledge and expertise with various departments and other organizations and Building human and institutional capacities in the different existing / new Institutions in the state as well as across the region.
8. Studying of traditional knowledge systems for community participation in adaptation, mitigation and coping mechanisms inclusive of farming and traditional health care systems
9. Evaluation of policy alternatives for regional development plans towards sustainable tourism development, water and other natural resource management for mountain ecosystems in the region.
10. To increase awareness of the planners, policy makers about the effects of climate change by developing policy briefs, case studies and best practices, publications and workshops from time to time;
11. Development of regional cooperation with neighbouring countries, to generate a strong data base through monitoring and analysis, to eventually create a knowledge base for policy intervention.
12. Assessment and quantification of the changes in the Himalayan eco system attributable to the climate change as a result of global emissions and human activities in the region and model for future projections
13. Exploration of linking of traditional and formal knowledge systems through strategic mechanism of formalization for mutual benefit and value for the sustainability of the Himalayan ecosystem
14. Identification of most-desirable Adaptation Policies to Improve Regional Sustainability